How to Apply
The Admissions Process
Apply as a Day or Residential Student
1. Referral through Your Local School System
It’s a good idea to contact the Special Education Director at your local school division early in the process, since referral through your school system is required for admission.
2. Completing the Application Packet
The parent/legal guardian of the applicant must complete the entire application packet and submit it along with the following documentation:
- Documentation of applicant’s residence in Virginia
- Copy of birth certificate
- Medical records and immunization certificate
- Educational records including evaluations, transcripts, current signed IEP, and disciplinary records if applicable
- Release of information consent
- Permission for emergency/routine medical care
3. Admissions Interview
Once VSDB has received a complete application packet and school system referral, the Admissions Coordinator will contact you to schedule a pre-placement interview with both the applicant and parent(s) or legal guardian. This will occur on the VSDB campus in Staunton. If you would like additional individuals to attend this meeting, please let us know at least one week in advance.
If any accommodations are needed, including an interpreter of spoken language, please notify VSDB at least two weeks in advance.
The interview will be conducted by an Admissions Committee consisting of a member of the VSDB Admission staff, relevant VSDB service providers, a VSDB educational representative, and other VSDB faculty and staff as deemed appropriate by the Admissions Coordinator.
For applicants who are identified as multi-disabled with a disability of sensory impairment, a visit to the applicant’s current educational site may be conducted as well.
4. The TEMP Program
All prospective students must attend a TEMP week before a final admission decision can be made. The TEMP Program allows students to attend VSDB for one or two weeks on a trial basis. Students attend classes and experience residential living if applicable. This provides valuable insight to the student, the parent or guardian, the Admissions Committee, and the local school division regarding the appropriateness of VSDB as an educational placement.
5. Admission Determination and Notification
The Admissions Team considers many factors when determining a student’s admission status, including but not limited to
- Availability of space
- Applicant’s eligibility as outlined in the Admissions Criteria
- Applicant’s academic, behavioral, therapeutic, emotional, physical, and medical needs, and VSDB’s capacity to provide for them
- The applicant’s level of independence and daily living skills (for applicants considering living on campus)
- Insights obtained through the student’s participation in TEMP
Within 10 days following the pre-admission interview and completion of the TEMP requirement, we will notify the applicant, the parent/guardian, and the local school division about whether a student will be admitted. The notification will be provided in writing.
For more information, see the full text of Admission Policy and Procedures: